Friday, September 25, 2009

$10 Million FedEx Package

So FedEx understands? They spend millions on advertising telling us they understand our love of golf. We have to watch silly men dress up in matador suits to kiss the ass of a co-worker in order to work their way up the co-worker's FedEx ladder. They even try to make us believe that some of us golf fanatics actually drive a golf cart in the office building.

All this for what? So they can give Tiger Woods another $10 Million dollars? Is the $80 million he's going to make off the golf course this year not enough? Is the $9.3 million he's already made on the tour this year a little light? I think Tiger would trade all that money for a major or two.

It's not that I don't like Tiger - I do. I think he is the greatest golfer that I will ever see in my life time and I do pull for him when he's in the field. The problem is with FedEx and here's why....

When was the last time that you saw a FedEx golf commercial and said to yourself - "damn I need to go ship that package and I think I'll use FedEx."

As a business do you ever get pissed off when you have to pay $25 for an overnight envelope and realize that $2.19 of that goes to Tiger? (yes I made that number up but you get the point).

I just don't understand why a company like FedEx spends the kind of money they do on a sponsorship that rewards wealthy white guys when there's really only 2 choices in their industry - them and a guy who wears brown shorts. There's plenty of ways that they can spend that same money, get the same or better exposure and actually do something that makes this country a better place. Or here's a novel idea - LOWER YOUR PRICES!!

I'm not anti-business or anti-free market economies. But I 100% anti-stupid business. From my perspective FedEx doesn't understand.

Have a great weekend. I'm off to Washington DC to witness some more stupidity up close and personal.

David

1 comment:

  1. Your math is a bit off..

    Fedex (air & ground) delivers over 3.7 million packages a day.. totaling 1.675 billion packages a year. So Tiger's only getting about .6 cents per package.

    However - I'm also so disgusted by the ridiculous amount of money being awarded that I'm going to Road Atlanta this weekend. Go Audi!

    ReplyDelete