Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Who Made Matt Millen an Expert?

Ok - maybe this is just me. We all have hang ups that we don't understand sometimes. But this really irked me Monday night.

I realize Matt Millen had a very successful NFL career. With three Super Bowl rings the guy obviously knows how to play football. I certainly wouldn't want to be a running back trying to beat him to the sideline. He played hard and played to win and did it for several different coaches so he proved he could play.

I also realize that he had a pretty good broadcasting career. After all he was on the #2 Team at Fox for a couple of years. He's not a John Madden, but he was pretty good.

I think I can make a case that he may go down in history as the worst GM in professional sports. How can someone who knows football that well turn out to be so incredibly bad at running the Detroit Lions. I honestly think I could have done a better job. When you played on that many winning teams, played side by side with some of the great players of his era - how the hell do you suck that bad at drafting players and hiring coaches?

With all those high draft picks and he takes Joey Harrington, Charles Rogers and Mike Williams. Are you kidding me?? What was he doing - throwing darts at a board with players pictures on them? And to add insult to injury he got a 5 year contract extension from William Clay Ford, Sr before the start of the 2005 season. Does that answer all your questions about why Ford is such a mess? Maybe Millen was in charge of product development for them at the same time.

I respect the guy for his career. And I'll give him a high five for the broadcast career before the Lions. But I can't see how he can put his face on TV and trys to talk like he knows football. When you fall that far and openly admit that you suck at what you did - I'm just not going to listen to you. Sorry ESPN - I really like many of your TV personalities. Matt Millen is not one of them. You just lost one viewer.

David

2 comments:

  1. Please bring back George Plimpton!!!!

    J unger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or why not George Blanda???

    Mr. Bogey: I concur (and I am a closet life long Oakland Raiders fan!)--and you may even know who I am (but no longer have a Raiders headcover on or in my bag)

    ReplyDelete