Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Fans Are Out of Control

What is going on with football fans? Yes I know that fan is short for fanatic but things are getting out of control. Was there a full moon this past weekend? I saw things that continue to make me wonder what's in the water around here (and I'm not talking about Bourbon - I KNOW that's in there).

Let's start with GA Tech. First - I am a HUGE Tech fan. Love them, pull for them, wish I had gone to school there - but as reported in an earlier blog - I wasn't smart enough. I was in Indianapolis on business this week and I made my travel companions go with me to a sports bar to watch the game after a business event. There's a 100 TV's in this place and I have to tip a guy to change one of them to this game. I'm the only person in the place watching this game. I totally ignore the conversation at the table while I'm watching the game - complete with random bursts of excitement because something good happened. And we win the game and you could make the argument it was the biggest win in school history for the past 20 years. So I get it.

After the game the students tear down the goal posts. And some of them got hurt. Yes I realize this is a tradition. I know it's been going on for years. But these are engineering students. They are suppose to be smart. They should be smart enough to act like they know how to win. We make fun of our brethren from Athens on how they can't win with class and certainly loose like 3-year old so shouldn't we show a little class when we win? This won't be the last big game that we win under Paul Johnson.

Please tell me what's going on in Minnesota. Yes they have a great team. Yes they should be excited. Yes they are a favorite to go to the Super Bowl. But did you see how some of them were dressed on Sunday? They looked like they just got off a Viking ship - yesterday. They spent more money on a costume to go to a football game than I did for my entire wardrobe. I know that doesn't say much about my wardrobe but you know what I'm talking about. Fox does not help the case by showing the guy going into every commercial break. And their head coach still looks like an 8th grade math teacher.

I love football. I get it and much as anyone does. I'm passionate about the game and completely understand the external combustion when my team scores. But come on people - it's a game.

Here's to winning!

David

2 comments:

  1. Marler, you're a scream. 2:26 A.M.?
    Been following. Love the wardrobe comment
    jk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, one of my good friends ia an 8th grade math teacher! LOL great blog.

    ReplyDelete